A Mentor helps his/her mentee analyse, reflect and act.
The UMinho Mentors Programme, part of the “UMinho Pair Tutoring and Mentoring” project, is innovative in the university context. It facilitates global and continuous learning from when the student starts university (Pair Tutoring Programme) until s/he leaves, preparing for the labour market (Mentors Programme). This project and its related activities are parallel with and transversal to the various courses and scientific learning specific to each field.
The mentor/mentee relationship usually includes experiences and conversations on a wide variety of topics, on areas chosen by those involved, including discussion of the mentee’s worries and doubts in a professional context.
Coordination: UMinho Development Office
Scientific Coordination: Teresa Freire (School of Psychology)
(+351) 253 601 035 / 253 60 10 30
CP II, 2nd floor, room 324
This programme will enable UMinho students to identify and develop relevant transversal competencies associated with their professional career:
Become acquainted with the reality of the world of work and career options, facilitating reflection on objectives and professional paths, in preparation for entering the job market;
Develop student competencies, valuing them in a personal and professional capacity through a complementary experience to academic learning;
Contribute to helping students access new opportunities to find out about the labour market.
Professionals with relevant experience, Alumni from the University of Minho and the Minho region.
Role of the Mentor
The mentor receives the mentee in his work environment;
The mentor allows the mentee to observe his day-to-day work;
The mentor helps the mentee to learn about the reality of the work place and about career options.
Duration - approximately 3 months;
Availability - 1 to 2 hours every two weeks (one morning/afternoon);
Each mentor accompanies only 1 mentee.
Benefits for the Mentor
The Programme helps connect the professional and the university contexts;
Interaction between scientific training and professional practice which allows the mentor to attain a broad knowledge of the characteristics and demands of the academic training of UMinho students. The mentor contributes to the academic and professional development of the UMinho students s/he accompanies.;
Any 3rd year UMinho undergraduate student or 1st year Master/4th year Integrated Master UMinho student, of any area of knowledge/course.
Benefits for the Mentees
The programme allows the university and the professional contexts to connect;
Scientific training and professional practice interaction, allowing the student to obtain a broader knowledge of the characteristics and demands of the work place;
Development of academic and professional competencies with successful professionals.
All mentees are subject to a selection process.
Duration – approximately 3 months;
Availablity – 1 to 2 hours every two weeks (one morning/afternoon);
Each mentor will accompany only 1 mentee.
- The Programme is 3 months long and functions between April and July;
- The Programme begins with an opening session embodying a brief clarification session of the programme, its objectives and rules;
- The mentoring sessions are held once a fortnight, last two hours, and are at a time agreed by the mentor and mentee;
- In the mentoring sessions, the mentees will be invited to observe the day-to-day work of the mentor, identifying transversal competencies associated with a successful professional;
- The Programme ends with a closing session involving all the mentors and mentees;
- The Programme has formal elements of evaluation.
[+] Enrollment: mentees
At the end of the Programme all the mentors and mentees receive a certificate.
If you wish to enroll in the UMinho Mentoring Programme as a mentee, please send an e-mail with the subject heading “mentee enrollment” to
Details for enrollment
In the enrollment e-mail you must give student information as follows:
- Full name
- Place of residence (town/city) in term time
- Course / Year of course / Student number
- E-mail / mobile phone no.
- To complete the application you must attach the following documents to your e-mail:
- List of curricular units completed and respective marks
- Motivation letter